TIMIOS PRODROMOS MONASTERY
Monastery of Timios Prodromos: The monastery is just 300 meters from Agia Varvara, on mountain Palouki. It is a favorite monastery of all locals with its welcoming nuns who still tcare for the monastery. It was renovated from its foundations in 1721 under monk Filaretos, as it is mentioned on the inscription at its entrance.
Until 1920 the monastery was male, but since it has been female.
The monastery of Prodromos is the same type as the church of Metamorphosi (cruciform with 4 pillars) with the only difference being the presence of two presentations on the side, in accordance with the Mount Athos system.
In this monastery, Saint Agios Nektarios wanted to be a monk, but finally he made the choice to stay in Aegina island in Saronic.
14 th - 15 th century
It was founded in 1612 and renovated in 1721 by the monk Filaretos.
The monastery celebrates on June 24
TIMIOS PRODROMOS BIRTH DAY
April - Sep 31
08:00 - 13:00 & 17:00 - 20:00
By road, a part of a dirt road or Trail
Skopelos Palouki Mountain
It has a wood-carved, gilded, high temple with rich decoration with tendrils, birds, animals and 15 icons with large feasts, while it consists of two pieces, one 14th and one 18th century and the frescoes are of the 14th-15th century.
The icons of the monastery are also important, dating to the 16th, 17th and 18th century AD. At the altar of the monastery there is a mural concerning the founding of the monastery.
The apse depicts the Prayer, and on either side Saint Charalambos and Monk and Founder Filaretos.
The monastery celebrates on June 24 and there is an evening prayer in the monastery on the eve.